Friday, April 23, 2010

Pushpa Vilapam.... ! (Flower's lament)


Hmmm.....! After a short break of about 3 weeks from the blogging world, today I decided to write my post about what Iam reading lately. Other than few famous novels, non-fictions, I took up to read Karunasree Jandhyala Papaih Sastry's Poem "Pushpa Vilapam".

The beautiful poem in Telugu has been translated by Sri Kandregula Amba Prasada Rao into English and I have to say he has done a splendid job.

There are many stanza's to this poem, however I decided to pick 2 which I like the most.
Hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

In Telugu....

"ma' velalEni mugdha sukuma'ra sugamdha maramda ma'dhurii
jiivitamella miikai tyajimci kRuSimci naSimcipOva ma'
yauvanamella kollagoni a' pai ciipurutODa cimmi ma
mma'vala pa'ravaiturugada'! naraja'tiki niiti yunnada'? "



Translated into English....

While our priceless and innocent,
Delicate, nectarean and fragrant
Life, for you is sacrificed and frayed
Withered and laid utterly destroyed -
Ravishing our youth, sweep with broom - Alas !
Is there morality among the Human Race ?


In Telugu...

"Ulu da'ra'latO gomtu kuri bigimci
gumDelOnumDi soodulu grucci koorci
muDucu komduru muccaTa muDula mammu
akaTa! dayalEniva'ru mii ya'Duva'ru! "



Translated into English...

Strangling us with wool and rings,
Piercing bosoms with needles and strings,
Adorn with us your braids fancy-
Alas! ye women are sans mercy.


I am no expert in reading telugu, unfortunately I have to blame it on my KV (central school) schooling. However, I decided to correct my telugu so that I can enjoy our rich telugu literature. For the first time I miss being fluent in reading Telugu while I struggle to read 'Pushpa Vilapam'.

There is a famous quote by Mark Twain, "The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them".

You never know which book it is that will change your life for good, so keep reading.

For now.. its 'Pushpa Vilapam' for me....

Until next time...happy reading to you all....

1 comment:

  1. HARE KRISHNA.


    Hatts off to you dear Madhoo.

    ReplyDelete