Friday, May 21, 2010
Dosakaya Mukka Pachadi
Who ever invented or discovered this recipe, is to me a genius in the cooking world. Now, before you say that I am exaggerating, I have a good explanation. All the fresh chutneys or 'Rotti Pachalldu' that we prepare with fresh vegetables are either shallow fried in oil or steam baked. However, this pachadi is prepared with raw 'Dosakaya', yes you saw that right and believe me you won't be complaining at all. And to my wonder I really cannot imagine 'Dosakaya Pachadi' any other way at all.
Not to mention the nutrients, low calorie value and ultra flavorful taste.
Dosakaya(yellow Indian cucumber) is a vegetable very low in calories and very high in nutrients and fiber. Here is a scoop on the total number of calories in this recipe.
Chutney made with 1 medium Dosakaya yields about 5 to 6 servings.
Approximate amount of total calories :300
Ease of preparation :Very Easy
1. 1 medium Dosakaya. Wash and peel. As Dosakaya has seeds, taste both the flesh and the seeds. If the seeds are bitter, scoop and garbage them or the chutney will not be edible. If the flesh is slightly bitter then you can still use it, but if its very bitter then you will have to dump it too and pick another Dosakaya. Also pick a firm one not soft or mushy one.
2. 1 bunch of Cilantro. Washed and chopped.
3. 1 1/2 spoon of Sesame or Peanut oil.
4. 1 spoon each of Urad dal and Mustard seeds.
5. Pinch of fenugreek seeds and couple of dashes of hing.
6. 2 red chillies.
7. 5 or 6 green chillies or as per taste.
8. 4 to 5 spoons of tamarind pulp.
Step 1: Take 1 1/2 spoons of Sesame oil or Peanut oil in a wok.
Step 2: Add Urad dal, Mustard seeds, Fenugreek seeds, Pinch of hing and red chilles.
Step 3: Add green chillies, switch off the stove and put a lid.
Step 4: Let the tampering cool a bit.
Step 5: Coarsely blend tampered ingredients. Add Cilantro and blend some more. Salt.
Step 6: Add tamarind pulp and blend some more.
Step 7: Remove the blended ingredients into a bowl and add finely chopped raw Dosakaya and some more Cilantro.
Step 8: Stir in well and check for salt.
Serve with hot rice and ghee.