Thursday, May 13, 2010

Vankaya Kothimera Kharam


Cilantro is like the ingredient in my kitchen. I really cannot imagine my kitchen without it. That said I always added a handful of Cilantro leaves in all my curries including 'Vankaya'(eggplant/brinjal).

But my co-sister's family is from Godavari District and I heard of this recipe at her home. This recipe was talked about for quite a while until I decided to give it a try and to my amazement I could not believe the flavor and taste that a big bunch of Cilantro and Green Chilli paste added to this otherwise normal curry.

Not to mention the total Calories! Check it out yourself...

Total amount of Calories (approximately) - 300
Total servings - 4
Ease of prepartion - Very easy
Nutrition Value - Medium

INGREDIENTS:

1. 1 medium Chinese egg plant(rounded one) or 2 lengthy Indian store brinjals (my preference). Wash and chop into chunks.



2. 2 cups of chopped Cilantro



3. 4 to 5 green chillies or as per taste
4. 1 spoon peanuts (optional)
5. stalk of curry leaves
6. 1/2 spoon urad dal
7. 1/2 spoon channa dal
8. 1/2 spoon mustard seeds
9. 1 red chilli broken into pieces
10. Salt per taste

METHOD:

Step 1: Add 1 spoon of sesame oil to iron a skillet or bhandi

Step 2: Add peanuts, urad dal, channa dal, mustard seeds, red chilli and curry leaves. Let them fry.

Step 3: Add chopped brinjal.

Step 4: Salt and stir. Don't put a lid. Let them fry a bit on medium flame.

Step 5: Blend coarsely Cilantro and green chillies. Set aside.




Step 6: When brinjal feels cooked add the Cilantro and Chilli mixture.

Step 7: Fold in gently and let them cook for another 5 mins before turning it off.



Serve 'Vankaya Kothimera Kharam' with piping hot rice and ghee.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Madhu,

    Great step by step method with pictures.

    I love cooking and baking. I love Cilantro and will find some or the other thing that can get extra flavor with Cilantro. Vankaya Kharam Kura is my favorite but this is another way I like it. For this recipe what I like is, I don't have to be selective about the size of eggplant. I found that Italian eggplants taste better than the other ones. My recipe is little different from yours. I add ginger and don't use peanuts, also I add the mixture of cilantro first then add eggplant and cook it slow.

    Happy cooking and Blogging.
    Sreedevi

    ReplyDelete